DENTAL HYGIENE | WHAT YOU SHOULD'NT DO
What You Should'nt Do
- Don’t have too much sugar in your diet – Sugary foods and drinks can lead to tooth decay and erosion. Remember, the longer sugar is in contact with your teeth the more damage it can cause. Some fruit such as oranges contain acid that can also cause the teeth to decay if eaten excessively. Cut down on sugary fizzy drinks and juice drinks. Try just drinking water or unsweetened fruit juice. Try to cut down the sugar on your breakfast cereal or in hot drinks or even cut it out altogether.
- Don’t leave a problem unchecked – If your teeth have suddenly become sensitive to cold or hot drinks, or if you find that when you brush your teeth your gums bleed, then you should make sure you see our Hygienist or Dentist as soon as possible. Don’t leave these issues, as they will likely only get worse.
- Don’t use sweets for a snack – Eating sweets as a treat during the day between meals is a mistake. Replace sweet snacks with a piece of toast or some fruit. Fizzy drinks are also a bad idea and should be replaced with something more suitable such as water. Sugary foods and drinks cause tooth decay, especially when eaten regularly between meals.
- Don’t rush through cleaning your teeth – If you rush through the act of brushing your teeth then you will not be getting them clean enough. Plaque will likely still be in place, as may little bits of food. You need to take your time when brushing your teeth and ensure that each tooth is given sufficient time and care.
- Don’t clean your teeth too frequently – This may seem like strange to some people, but the act of cleaning your teeth too many times per day can lead to damage of your teeth and gums. Stick to the recommended amount and make sure that you don’t brush your teeth too forcefully. If you are unsure then our Hygienist can instruct you on the best way to keep your teeth and gums healthy.